Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Temper Tantrum of the Day

Katie was taking a nap and then started crying.  This happens at least three times a week. 

Of course, I was feeding Mikey and couldn't go up to her room to see what she was upset about. Yelling out to her would have scared the living crap outta Mikey, so I had to just sit there in hopes that she would just resolve the issue herself.

No such luck.  

Down the stairs she came screaming and crying about boogies.

I asked her if she wanted me to help her blow her nose and I got out a tissue.  I went to wipe her nose and then she threw herself on the ground and screamed.

I spent the next twenty minutes trying to decipher what she wanted of me.  

She kept telling me that she wanted to calm down and then we would try our calm down technique (counting and deep breathes) over and over again.  But, she just wouldn't calm down.

Finally, she went to her "calm down place", which is next to the couch, and was able to finally communicate with me.

She was upset because she "had boogies" and then when she went to blow her nose there were "no boogies".

Yeah.  That was the reason.  Spock would not be amused.

In the middle of all this, I put a sleepy Mikey down on the couch.  Not the best place for him to be, I know, but I had to engage Katie to get her to at least try to calm down.  It's hard to do that with Mikey in the middle of us.  

Miraculously, he is still asleep.  He slept through the whole thing.   Even when she was standing next to him screaming at the top of her lungs.

Katie, took herself back to her room to "relax" a bit.

All is quiet.  

Now it's time for ME to count to 10 and take some looooong deeeeeep breathes........ 

October & November 2023

 The next day was October 1st. We flew back home and were ready to rock October. October was a bit crazy. As I look at the calendar trying t...